Sunday, September 21, 2008

Of Witches & Bitches

I am Pinay and proudly so. I can't say the same thing towards other Pinays in UAE who think so highly of themselves for whatever reason. What makes it funny is they put up a front of being better than the next Pinay by looking down at them without realizing that they're dealing with, say a marketing manager of the mall and not what they easily assumed as another saleslady.

Where did this superiority complex come from? Certainly back home, they have very congenial personalities, very nice, very polite, and humanly understanding. Are they showing their true colors when they are in another country? Or is this an output of intense insecurity because they know they're better off back home if only they are more financially stable? They probably held better job positions in the Philippines rather than being one of the secretaries or receptionists in UAE.

We all leave home seeking for greener pastures. It may be to earn more or get an advancement in career. I left the Philippines for both reasons. I met a lot of Pinay old-timers who either made it here or are still struggling to make it here. Some embrace their good and bad experiences and used their experiences for personal growth. They are now wiser, more understanding, more humble, more helpful, and more sympathetic. Others resent their bad experiences and glorify their good experiences that they turn into a witch and a bitch without realizing it. I always choose to be a better person. It won't do me any good to belittle my fellow Pinays just because I'm luckier than them. I have no right to do that. I only have the greatest respect for all Pinays who stuck out to help their families and friends.

Drew Barrymore said it best in one of her interviews, “I’m not insecure. I’ve been through way too much f***ing sh*t to be insecure. I’ve got huge balls. But I’ve been humbled. That makes you grateful for every day you have.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are off to a good blogging start! These are the things that people want and like to read about. Everyday experiences. I'd be surprise if this experience hasn't happened to most people at some time. Pinoy's like just about all people tend to act differently in a foreign country than at home. having said that the "crab" mentality seems to stay with Pinoy's no matter where they go.

Anonymous said...

good read!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more...lovely read!

Anonymous said...

This is so true...I agree in every word you said. Some people judge others physically without looking themself first.